Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals (WUMP)
The Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals class will keep you engaged in wilderness medicine curriculum through case studies and practical scenarios with mock patients. Learning takes place both in the classroom and in outdoor settings regardless of weather conditions. Come prepared for wet, muddy, cold or hot environments.
Upon registering, you will also need to submit the registration packet which includes health forms and waivers.
15:1 Student:Instructor Ratio
2:1 Student:Equipment Ratio
48 Hour Class
INDIVIDUALS LOOKING TO INCREASE THEIR MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE OR MEET A JOB REQUIREMENT:
Physicians Nurses Paramedics EMTs Outdoor Guides
Current State medical license (EMT, RN, MD, etc)
- Backcountry guides,
- Canoe trip leaders,
- Private expedition groups,
- College/university outdoor education programs,
- Hiking club trip leaders,
- Wilderness therapeutic programs,
- EMT’s and adventure race safety personnel.
- WMI Wilderness First Responder certification
*Currently licensced EMT's will receive WEMT certification instead of WFR
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS
- College Credit (4 hours) for the WUMP course is available through the University of Utah, during your course and before testing, for an additional cost of $350. Approach your instructors at the start of the course if this is interesting to you; we’re sorry, but once the course is over we cannot help you acquire college credit for your course.
- This course is pre-approved for 48 hours of EMT Continuing Education Hours (CEH) by the Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS). More info…
- Through joint sponsorship with the Wilderness Medical Society physicians may earn 43 hours of continuing education for participation in this course. Additional costs apply.
- Active members of the Wilderness Medical Society may earn up to 35.75 hours of credit towards a Fellowship of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine (FAWM). There is an additional fee of $15 for students requesting these credits.
SCHOLARSHIP AND FINANCIAL AID
Individuals fluent in American Sign Language or Signed Exact English may be eligible to receive a full scholarship. We accept AmeriCorps awards for the WFR with college credit. WMI can process Veterans Benefits for WFR courses in Wyoming.